Main page content
African Energy Chamber
- The African Energy Chamber is the voice of the African energy sector. The AEC actively promotes the interests of the African continent, its companies and its people.
- The African Energy Chamber joined Equal by 30 in May 2020.
- The African Energy Chamber is headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Learn more about the African Energy Chamber
By bringing key stakeholders together, we help indigenous companies grow, foster collaboration between businesses and government and encourage international entities to operate on our continent. Above all, we are taking a leadership role in shaping policies, sharing best practice and using our vast natural resources to create value for Africans.
To that end, diversity and inclusion are imperative to the success of all businesses, to the communities we represent and our partners across the continent. By including people of diverse cultures, backgrounds, beliefs, gender and experience, we are better able to reach our goals, support the African energy community and build a stronger industry.
While the AEC cannot undertake commitments that are within the sole responsibility and control of its members, partners of the African Energy Chamber are agents of change in their own right, with the power to shape an inclusive energy future for Africa. Working together, we can create a brighter future for all.
The African Energy Chamber endorses the Equal by 30 Campaign principles on gender equality, and commits to the below actions:
- To promote the “Equal by 30” initiative and its principles, including facilitating the exchange of best practices and knowledge-sharing wherever possible across the African energy sector (including but, not limited to, the ideas that follow)
- Promote the “Equal by 30” initiative in our internal and external communication materials and efforts
- Encourage and support AEC member companies and partners to become signatories to the “Equal by 30” campaign, by providing practical support to help them develop and implement their own ambitious targets
- Encourage and support AEC member companies that are signatories to “Equal by 30” to aim for at least 50% representation of women by 2030 in company position where women are currently under-represented
- Help create mentor/sponsorship relationships across the African energy industry: for instance, by promoting apprenticeships across the value chain of the energy sector; by bolstering the efforts to boost the number of girls taking STEM subjects, with the aim to increase the pool of women entering STEM careers. Finally, by encouraging more women from the energy sector to become STEM Ambassadors
- Create a yearly leadership award for a deserving woman in the industry to be awarded at one of our flagship events
- We will target 50% representation of female speakers at our events, across our publications and efforts